Pages

Sunday, March 9, 2014

The 16 Things You Didn't Know About the 9 Authors Who Said 4 Interesting Things On 5 Topics Designed to Motivate You to Do Stuff for 30 Days to Learn 8 New Things About....(And Now I've Lost Count!)

Clearly, based on the title of this post, I've been spending WAAAAY to much time stumbling around the Internet, reading too many self help posts.  A few days ago, mired yet again in what amounted to inertial quicksand, I came to the realization that, instead of lifting me up and making me feel better, all of these articles I'd been reading were contributing to my growing sense of restlessness and discomfort. But how could that be? While most of the articles were basically benign, sharing fairly innocuous pearls of wisdom, some actually contained surprisingly good advice or valuable insights. None of them were actually harmful. So, why, instead of feeling uplifted, was I feeling suffocated? 

I didn't know, so I decided to take a break. I shut the laptop, got my rear end up off the couch, and cleaned out my desk drawer. And, that's when it hit me: the problem wasn't with the articles. The problem was with me.

So, as it turned out, this post really isn't about The 16 Things You Didn't Know About the 9 Authors Who Said 4 Interesting Things On 5 Topics Designed to Motivate You to Do Stuff for 30 Days to Learn 8 New Things About. Sorry to disappoint you. Maybe you'll forgive me, though, when I tell you the One Thing You Need to do to Have a Better Life:







2 comments:

zride17 said...

I have to remind myself that "Talk is cheap" all the time.

The White Wave said...

I wrote about this on my blog recently, about how we collect way more information than is necessary or beneficial.